Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hello, Congress, let me in!!!

Our question this week was  how does the U.S. Congress, as it exists in its current structure, support and/or limit authentic representation? Ahhh.  I don't think that Congress authentically represents in its current structure.  There is no way it could.  Congress is supposed to be the most accessible branch of the federal government, yet it is often the least trusted by the people.  There are two branches of Congress; The House of Representatives which is elected by popular vote and the Senate which is made up of 2 members representing each state and are elected by various state legislatures.  Congress is supposed to represent the people and is critisezed for not doing so.  I am not sure that I want the average American making decisions that they know as much about what is going on in the world as I do.  I would rather have someone that went to a top school and devotes their time to learning about the history of our country, the issues going on in the world, and has experience in Washington.  I think that Congress should be filled with experts that listen closely to the American public to properly represent them, and I don't believe that is the case.  Once again, it comes down to the dollar.  Congressman are representing the wealthy, lobbyists, and special interest groups.  Afterall, these are the people that keep them in office and living a very comfortable life where they don't even have to pay for their gas, our tax dollars do.  By the way, they make a lot more than I do, but I pay for my own gas!  Another way that Congress limits its representation, is by its turnover.  Congress was designed for quick turnover, but because of all the extra benefits in addition to the great pay, many are making Congress their career.  With little turnover, it is very hard for new ideas to be heard and changes to be made.  It seems like the more that I learn about government, the more it is proving to be corrupt and just ideal, not attainable.  Am I wrong here?  Am I missing the part that Americas government really does work the way it was set out to?

"A government is for the benefit of all the people."
     William Howard Taft~27th President (1909-1913)

No comments:

Post a Comment